Guide to Xenobiology
Xenobiology is the breeding and harvesting of slimes and their extracts for scientific purposes. This all takes place in the xenobiology lab below toxins mixing where you spawn, and is
arguably more dangerous than making bombs if you don't know what you are doing. Which is a good reason to read this!
- 1 Familiarize Yourself
- 2 Get equipped
- 3 Gotta catch em' all!
- 4 Population Control
- 5 Extract Harvesting
- 6 Formulas
- 7 How to make an efficient slime farm
- 8 So You're a Traitor
- 9 Supplementary Video
First, get familiar with your new home.
In the center is a table with four monkey cube boxes, a grinder for plasma, some plasma, and boxes of syringes and beakers. To the west of the center table there is a closet with a bio suit in it.
The extracting area to the east has a slime extractor for extracting from slimes, a monkey recycler, and a smartfridge modified to hold slime extracts. On the wall there is also a medikit in case of accidents. Note: Be careful when dumping things down the disposal in the slime extracting area. It leads directly to space!
In a semicircle around the center there are six slime pens, two of which start with a baby grey slime in them. You can lock any of them down by pressing the button on the table. The pen to the very bottom east contains an injector, some gas tanks, and a vent to space, as well as a single Cortical Borer egg that you can hatch for a brainslug buddy of your very own. Be sure to turn the scrubber off in that cell using the Atmospheric Air Alarm computer in the room, since it needs a little bit of plasma in the air to hatch.
Before you start breeding the slimes, make sure you have a fire extinguisher in your backpack or hand and a water-tank ready nearby. Both of which are luckily available right here in Xenobiology! (If you are having trouble finding the extinguisher, it is in a case on the wall to the north.)In addition, you also want a supply of monkeys, available through the monkey-cubes on the table. Simply unwrap them, spray with water and shove into the disposal tube into the pen.
Later on, you want to request a temperature gun form R&D. They have been buffed on /vg/station! A temperature gun set to 0 will start lowering its laser temperature slowly. When it reaches 0(-C274) you have a gun that instakills slimes! Only 3 shots, however, and it takes a while for it to recharge.
Gotta catch em' all!
There are several different types of slime. You begin with two 'grey slimes', but, you can breed them to catch all the
pokèmon! slimes! Each kind of slime has its own powers from it's extract.
When well fed an adult slime will split into 4 slimes with a 30% chance of mutating each. In theory, this means a ~76% chance of at least one mutation, but this is not something you should count on. This flowchart shows the results of each slime's mutations when splitting, with options labeled "2x" having twice the chance of occurring.
While this part is purely optional to follow, it is HIGHLY recommended to breed at least one or two dark purple slimes as fast as you can for additional plasma (Or you can yell at the miners...)
In addition, making sure to keep at least one pen producing grey slimes is a very good idea in order to have a sustainable monkey flow.
Purple slimes are a likely by-product of trying to get Dark Purple slimes and have the added benefit of that injecting the slime steroids into the Greys and the Dark Purples will significantly increase plasma/monkey amounts gained. Try out harvesting one baby purple and then using the steroids from it on a second baby purple! Repeat as necessary.
A slightly harder but very much worth it alternative to Purple slimes would be Cerulean slimes. They have two primary benefits:
- They do not evolve further, meaning you are assured without using steroids or enhancers three cerulean extracts and one breeding slime.
- The result of injecting their extract with plasma is extract enhancer, which allows three uses of any given extract. The benefit of this is that you do not need to decide ahead of time which extracts you want more uses of like steroids. And combined WITH Steroids, a single slime can give nine uses.
But in all honesty the Temperature Gun is going to be your weapon of choice when working in xenobiology. It can one shot all slimes(Important to note that even with the temperature gun, shooting an adult slime will cause it to revert into two slimes where one of them is a rabid slime out for your blood, so try not to kill adult slimes unless you are sure you can deal with the rabid one, see the Slime out for blood section), set xenomorphs on fire, and just about wreck everything relating to your field of research.
You should always have 1-6 slimes, depending on how many pens you are using. More and you can't control them properly. Less and your job is over. Decide how many you can handle at once, keeping in mind the adults split into four when sated.
All slimes dead
Job's over, man. Job's over! Hope you have a grey slime extract, if not, then your job's over, man. Job's over!
1-6 baby slimes
If you need more extracts put one monkey in the disposal and wait for the slime(s) to grow, then another and wait for the slime(s) to split. As tempting as it may be, do not send in two monkeys at once. The slime might decide the second is a friend and refuse to eat it! You might want to make sure to stay in sight of the slimes to keep an eye on when they grow and split.
Adult slimes have split
Time to kill one (or more). Warning: This is the part of the job that's most likely to get you killed.
Ideally, you want to do this the EXACT moment after the slime in the pen (You ARE keeping only one adult slime per pen, right?) has split.
Select which slime(s) you want to breed (If multiple, put in a empty pen or make room in a occupied one) and proceed to drag the ones you want to cull into the tiny 'airlock' of the pen with you.
Do not worry, as long as you are regarded as a 'friend' (Which you should be, if you feed it and kept in sight) and they are not extremely hungry, the slimes should not feed on you. They might still cause some brute damage if you take too long though.
Once you have them there, simply spray with water. Once the ones you don't want are dead, feed the remaining slimes, harvesting extracts as needed. Better yet, use a temperature gun at its coldest setting- a single shot will kill a baby slime instantly.
A slime wants to be your special friend
So you managed to let it go hungry for just a little bit too long, eh? Your safest bet here is to laser it with a temperature gun set to a cold temperature. Otherwise, push it off (Help or Disarm Intent on the Slime) you and leg it, quite simply. Hide in a locker and yell for help if you can't get out of xenobiology itself. Their regular attack (glomping) only does brute damage (and a bit of burn damage if it shocks you as well), but if they actually get on you then they'll begin to inflict clone damage too. If that happens, get to Medbay ASAP so they can put you in cryo.
Your best slime buddy is now out for blood
Due to a recent change in slime behavior, slimes can now become rabid under a few conditions. When Red Slime Extract is infused with blood, it triggers a hostile reaction within all nearby slimes and causes them to go berserk and attack anything that moves- except for anyone the slimes remember is a friend to them. As an additional note, an adult slime has a change to split into four berserk smaller slimes if beaten or extinguished to death. If this occurs, a quick spray of water will calm them down. Assuming you can keep them from killing you, that is
Drag the dead slime over to the slime extractor by the slime extract storage and the monkey recycler. Grab it and click on the extract, then click the extract again to turn it on. Enjoy your new slimeballs.
- Extracts creates a grey slime when injected with plasma, could be useful if you have to many slimes, but want to make sure you don't run out of them.
- Extracts creates three monkey-cubes when injected with blood.
- Extracts creates one unit of mutation toxin when injected with plasma. Injecting yourself with it will turn you into a slime-(wo)man,which results in the slimes never attacking you and an immunity to clone damage. Keep in mind though that you are no longer technically 'human' as far as the AI and Cyborgs are concerned and you take damage from cold temperatures. The toxin is found in the used extract.
- Extracts create a raincoat when injected with water. It holds temperature guns and slime lamps and provides some cold resistance.
- Extracts creates a slime heart when injected with blood. Deals toxins to normal crew who hold it. If a slimeperson holds it, they heal toxins.
- Extracts create five slime tiles when injected with iron. Slime tiles speed up slimepeople and slow down everyone else.
- Extracts creates frost oil when injected with plasma.
- Extracts creates a small fire when injected with plasma. Also increases the pressure of the air a fair amount.
- Extracts creates capsaicin (pepper-spray) when injected with blood. Usuable as a 'ghetto stun' if you can find a good way to apply it to to your
- Extracts creates a explosion after a moment when injected with Plasma.
- Extracts kill all slimes in view when injected with blood. Careful doing this around adult slimes, they might not like it
- Extracts creates one unit of advanced mutation toxin when injected with plasma. Turns you into a baby slime. Arguably the most dangerous thing you can do here is raise a player controlled slime and have it breed, because they can and will be assholes that crawl through vents and glomp people for fun.
- Extracts creates 5 units of Nanobots when injected with gold
- Extracts creates a bottle of 5 units of Peridoxin when injected with water
- Extracts creates a bottle of 10 units of Doctor's Delight when injected with sugar
- Extracts creates 10 units of Rezadone when injected with blood
- Extracts creates 5 sheets of Diamond when injected with carbon.
- Extracts creates 5 sheets of Bananium when injected with silver. Don't let the clown know you have this or it will be breathing down your neck for a H.O.N.K.
- Extracts creates 5 sheets of Phazon when injected with gold. Take this to robotics to see them flip out in joy
- Extracts creates a Adamantine rune when injected with Plasma, which can be activated by a ghost or observer to create an Adamantine Golem. Golems will follow their creator's orders much like constructs and are highly resilient. They are slow and can't wear most clothing, but they're immune to temperature extremes, electricity, slipping, and low pressure. (They still need internals to survive in space, but since their faces count as masks all they need is an oxygen tank.) Additionally, their rocky physique acts as a natural armor, making them far more robust than a normal crew member.
- Extracts creates Slime Glycerol when injected with plasma.
- Extracts makes nearby slimes rabid when injected with blood. Has some fun uses.
- Extracts creates a bottle of slime resurrection serum when injected with sugar. Use this on unused slime extracts to make them into baby slimes. Use this to store slimes away somewhere, or maybe try a mobile slime farm.
- Extracts creates a burst of cold when injected with plasma. Useful for countering those red slimes.
- Extracts creates a bottle of Slime Nutrient when injected with blood. This bottle can be used twice, when used on a slime will make baby slimes grow and when used on an adult slime will make them split.
- Extracts creates a bottle of slime steroid when injected with plasma, a potent chemical mix that will cause a slime to generate more extract. Useful when used on dark purple slimes for that plasma or grey slimes for monkeys.
- Extracts creates slime jelly when injected with sugar. Slime jelly is somewhat poisonous, but
occasionally it heals organ damage instead.
- Extracts creates several sheets of plasma when injected with plasma. Yessir, NT can link anything to the production of plasma. Also useful for further experimenting.
- Extracts become 30k Charge Powercells when injected with plasma.
- Extracts creates an EMP when injected with blood. It's a quite big blast as well, useful if that AI is onto your tricks.
- Extracts create a yellow slime lamp when injected with water.
- Extracts creates a bottle of docility potion when injected with plasma, a potent chemical mix that will nullify a baby slime's powers, causing it to become docile and tame. You too can have your own pet, just like the HoP!
- Extracts creates a bottle of docility potion when injected with plasma, a potent chemical mix that will nullify a adult slime's powers, causing it to become docile and tame. Your pet is bigger than the HoP's!
- Extracts creates a bottle of paralysis potion when injected with blood that lets you carry pet slimes when used on the slime.
- Extracts creates several sheets of plasteel and metal when injected with plasma. Expect the roboticists to want the products.
- Extracts creates five sheets of silver when injected with tungsten.
- Extracts creates five sheets of gold when injected with copper.
- Extracts creates five sheets of uranium when injected with radium.
- Extracts creates two sheets of diamond when injected with carbon. Take this over to R&D to make some cool stuff
- Extracts creates a small amount of random food when injected with plasma, bork bork bork. Expect anything from a robo-burger to death berries.
- Extracts creates a small amount of random drinks when injected with water, bork bork bork.
- Extracts create two stacks of either metal, plasma, plasteel, silver, gold or uranium when injected with carbon. Both stacks will be five sheets of the material.
- Extracts spawn a few random hostile mobs when injected with plasma. Aliens are common from this reaction, so you might be able to fill xenobiology with actual xenomorphs! These monsters do not attack slime people, slimes, or golems.
- Extracts spawn one random mob when injected with blood. These mobs are not immediately hostile, but may be provoked by certain actions or if they encounter a construct or mech. NOW you might be able to fill xenobiology with actual xenomorphs without killing others! Beware: if the monster naturally targets windows or lights they will still target them.
- Extracts spawn a single mimic after a short delay when injected with water. Putting the extract in a crate will turn it into a crate mimic, putting the extract on the floor will create an item mimic disguised as a nearby item and holding the extract in your hands will create a crate mimic disguised as you.
- Extracts will teleport anything in the room not nailed down to a random teleporter beacon in the world when injected with plasma.
- Extracts spawn bluespace crystals when injected with blood. Telescientists will appreciate having them to keep the telepad going, as they're hard to find otherwise.
- Extracts creates some paint when injected with plasma. For the love of all that is holy, don't give it to the clown!
- Extracts create a cash chip worth 100 credits when injected with blood. Time to turn those slimes to cash.
- Extracts creates a camera when injected with plasma. How? Slime Magic!
- Extracts creates some film for a camera when injected with blood.
- Sepia Slime Extract film can view ghosts!
- Extracts creates a bottle of extract enhancer when injected with plasma. When used on a extract it triples the amount of uses it has. You can start laughing madly now.
- Extracts creates a bottle of slime duplicator when injected with blood. When used on a baby slime it will split in two. Use this if you quickly want to split off a slime and get a quick extract.
How to make an efficient slime farm
Compared to many other jobs on the station, once you know your way around it Xenobiology is a rather tranquil and laid back job. That is, until you kick your slime production into overdrive.
Grab a monkey cube, unwrap it (careful not to swallow it!), put the cube under water (either use it on a sink or spray it with the extinguisher) and you should have a monkey. On disarm, grab or harm intent and while dragging the monkey behind you, open the outer glass airlock to the pen of the slime you want to feed and take a step back so the monkey aligns with the entrance to the pen. Then push it all the way in. The monkey will open the second door and if you continue pushing the monkey in the slime should recognize you as a friend quickly. This is easier than fiddling with the disposal chute controls and saves you effort and time. Repeat this for the other slime and return to the lab. You now have some time while the slimes feed to get the following things sorted:
- Unwrapping all the monkey cubes - this will save you some time and effort later.
- Moving machines to more suitable spots - grab a wrench and move the slime extractor closer to the pens to save you some time later on.
- Filling up a blood syringe - Grab a syringe from one of the boxes and use it on yourself. This will be used to create more monkey cubes, among other things.
- Filling up a plasma syringe - Stuff the plasma sheets on your table into the grinder and activate it, then detach the beaker and use a syringe on that. Plasma can react with all the different slime cores, so you'll want that handy.
Eventually the slimes will stop feeding on the monkeys, but DON'T GIVE THEM ANOTHER MONKEY YET. If the monkey they were feeding on is down but still alive and you toss another one in, the slime might befriend the monkey you just tossed in. Instead, wait for the monkeys to die before tossing in another one. Once a slime has eaten two monkeys, it's going to split. First, you'll want to identify the slimes you want to breed further. Drag them to empty pens and then feed them a monkey. Only after you've given monkeys to all your breeding specimen should you eliminate the slimes you don't want. The easiest way to kill your slimes is to bring them to the two-tile space between the glass airlocks of the pen and douse them with the fire extinguisher. This concentrates the water on the square the slime is on, and one dose like this will usually kill a slime. DON'T HIT THE SLIME DIRECTLY WITH THE FIRE EXTINGUISHER OR IT MIGHT GLOMP YOU. Take the corpse of the slime to the slime extractor, and then drag the sprite of the slime to the extractor and activate it. While it's grinding your slime, go grab the next one. You should have time to grind your slimes like this while your breeding specimens are still feeding.
When all the pens are full, you will have to start minding your monkey supply. Always keep some grey extracts or slimes handy to never run out of monkeys, or you will have to walk all the way down to Cargo Bay for more monkeys. In a worst case scenario, you can always stuff monkeys into the monkey recycler, but this is typically a waste of time that could be spent breeding and handling slimes. Don't go out of your way to run outside and get a Temperature Gun either, the fire extinguisher is perfectly serviceable until somebody physically comes and places a Temperature Gun in front of you.
Sometimes the miners are completely absent, and R&D/Robotics are yelling their lungs out over radio for precious metals. You'll want to split up your first batch of slimes to maximize your chances of getting metal slimes in this case, and then focus exclusively on breeding those. You can then get adamantine slimes for the more rare materials, and maybe a golem to help you grind dead slimes. Note that you don't have a way to create glass, but by the time you trot over to R&D to deliver your metals chances are they will have a Ripley ready to dig into the asteroid for glass anyways.
Having all pens full doesn't necessarily mean you will be producing with maximum efficiency. You are spending time to handle one pen of slimes while other slimes are ready to breed! This means you might sometimes get higher level slimes faster if you breed fewer pens in a focused manner. Likewise, trying to get all the different extract enhancing slimes to produce absurd amounts of your desired extract is not likely to happen before the escape shuttle is eventually called, and you might be better off just focusing on getting more of the slimes you need. Of course, this depends on how fast and lucky you are.
Tempting as it may be to offload some of your work on another scientist, always keep in mind having somebody help you out with breeding slimes is potentially extremely dangerous. Slimes that see your friend handle a monkey might not have seen YOU handle a monkey, and could be hostile to you! To safely and efficiently work together, decide among yourselves which pens to handle, or have one person directly handling the slimes and the other handle extracts and chemicals.
So You're a Traitor
Sadly, what you can get here that can't be gotten easier elsewhere is an EMP and random hostile animals, including a few very deadly ones. Releasing the slimes is somewhat viable, but you will likely get caught doing so and baby slimes are rather tame (Unless you have Red Slime Essence. Then it's a party.)
On the plus side, you do have a disposal chute that goes directly to space. Pretty handy for disposing of evidence, and also for throwing in anyone who has been stuck with a parapen.
If you have a gold slime, you can try unleashing monsters somewhere and hoping that either they end up killing your target or giving you the distraction you need to break into important places (which can be aided further if you make a mimic that copies your appearance in order to confuse people). This, however, may backfire and prevent your escape or have the newly spawned beasts attack you instead. If you're feeling particularly lucky, you could take multiple gold cores (a full backpack or so) OR one or two cores, and a few Cerulean Cores, and inject them all simultaneously, releasing a torrent of horrifying creatures upon an unsuspecting crew. A sneaky way to let a large amount of rabid slimes loose is to breed dark blue and red slimes. Keep a single grey slime core in your pocket, walk to a populated area and inject the grey slime extract with plasma, then repeatedly feed the ensuing slimes with slime nutrient to quickly split it into a flood of slimes, and finally top it off by injecting some blood into a red slime extract. Bonus points for surviving this since slimes made this way won't befriend you. Adamantium slimes are also useful as a source of resilient minions who will obey your every command without question. Finally, Bluespace Slime Cores can be used for a quick getaway, as long as you don't mind taking half of the room you're in with you.